Mark,

On 12/8/23 14:47, Mark Thomas wrote:

The proposed 8.5.97 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.5.97 (stable)

Unit tests on Linux, Windows, MacOS M1 and MacOS Intel

Build is cross-platform repeatable apart from
- The fulldocs package
   - This is due to a Java bug
     https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8306980

I wonder if we could work around this bug by simply copying the original files from JAVA_HOME into the javadoc directory.

Yes, that should be possible.

Is it worth it?

Maybe.

Users haven't complained. It is only the full-docs package and it is only cross-platform reproducibility that is effected.

I really like the idea of being able to say "yes, it's reproducible without any foolishness". This seems like foolishness to me.

Agreed. My personal level of irritation with this hasn't risen to the level where I feel the need to do anything about it. Yet. Other things are higher priority for me at the moment.