All,

I've been looking at the WebDav Servlet for the last few days and in particular how it interacts with Microsoft clients.

Basic operations including:
- directory listings
- create new file
- create new directory
- rename
- update contents (ie open a file for editing and then saving it)

all work for port 80 and port 8080 when WebDAV is mounted at "/" or a specific context.

Drag/drop and copy/paste do not work. This appears to be related to Tomcat not implementing PROPPATCH. There is some guess work involved since I don't have access to the Microsoft code but I think the client is setting timestamps with PROPPATCH and then checking them. Because the PROPPATCH fails the overall operation is failed.

I don't think that the WebdavFixFilter is required any more.

I'd like to propose the following:
- deprecate WebdavFixFilter in all current versions and then remove it
  in Tomcat 11
- add the above information on what works and what doesn't to the
  WebdavServlet Javadoc - maybe along with a note to ping the dev list
  if drag/drop and copy/paste are required (or maybe a BZ issue)
- come back to this if there is user interest in getting drag/drop and
  copy/paste working

Thoughts?