Mladen Turk wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrot:
>> Test 1: Tomcat only
>> http://localhost:8080/jsp-examples/%252e%252e/servlets-examples/index.html
>>
>> This correctly showed the index.html I created above.
>
> But this is oxymoron. You wish to serve the content from
> servlets-examples with only jsp-examples mounted.
> This is also the exact reason of CVE-2007-1860.

No I am am not. I am trying to access the resource at the physical
file location:
appBase/jsp-examples/%2e%2e/servlets-examples/index.html

Note that there really is a directory with the name %2e%2e. This
content is part of the jsp-examples web application. The names of the
sub-directories are deliberately chosen to cause problems and to
illustrate my point.

Trying to access /jsp-examples/salesgrowth%2007.html (a more likely
file name in, say, a content management scenario) has similar problems.

It is expected that this will be accessible via:
http://host:port/jsp-examples/salesgrowth%252007.html

Test environment as before...
Test 1: Tomcat only
Works

Test 2: Tomcat + httpd + mod_jk 1.2.22
Fails with 404

Test 3: Tomcat + httpd + mod_jk 1.2.23
Works

Test 4: Tomcat + httpd + mod_jk 1.2.HEAD
Works

Hmm. This wasn't what I was expecting. However, when I use set
JkOptions     +ForwardURICompat in httpd.conf, restoring the default
as mentioned previously in this thread test 4 fails again.

In summary, I think we should be aiming for a solution that:
- doesn't have any security issues
- can serve files like salesgrowth%2007.html with the default config
- works with mod_rewrite etc

If we re-encoded the uri before sending it to Tomcat that would meet
all of the above requirements wouldn't it?