Costin Manolache wrote:
On 6/13/07, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Costin Manolache wrote:
> For a separate opinion:
>
> In the trunk version:
> - the '...' and array return seem strange and generate GC ( not a big
> issue
> those days, but still inconsistent with the
> rest of tomcat )
yes, its a new language feature, hence it wasn't available in previous
JDKs or Tomcat.
its a vararg, if we don't want it we can switch to arrays, it works the
same way.

Yes, I know it's a vararg and my concern is not that it is not available in
all VMs, but
that it creates temp arrays and GC, which is inconsistent with the rest of
tomcat which is very careful with creating objects.
Also - it's quite useless in this particular case, printf is a good use case
but
that doesn't mean it should be used everywhere.
true.

> - the API seems a bit over-complex - for example, why
> setConfiguration(COMMET_BLOCKING) instead of setBlocking() ?
> I agree that it less likely to break implementations by adding to the
> enom
> instead of adding methods to the interface - not sure
> why it's not an abstract class in the first place.
if we want to simplify it, we would call it
configureBlocking(boolean) - consistent with JDK APIs :)

Sounds better - but as Remy explained you would first need to explain
why blocking is needed in this context and how to deal with the confusion
of mixing blocking and non-blocking for users, and the implementation
complexities it adds.
trunk doesn't mix them. a comet connection is either blocking or non blocking, it doesn't shift between the two, and it allows developers to choose what they want. Just like a SocketChannel in java.nio.
there is nothing confusing about that, unless java.nio is confusing :)

> - please don't call the method configure(), it's commonly used with a
> different meaning ( i.e. setting the port or general configuration).
> setConnectionMode, etc. And using the enum doesn't sound consistent with
> other APIs either.
we can call it whatever we want. But saying not using enum, its not
consistent with other APIs in Tomcat,
means would never take advantage of new language features ever, I think
that would be a shame.

Same as above - the question is not about using new features, but if the
features
fit the use. I have no problem with using enums for the event types - just
for
configure, in the context of configure(enum) versus setBlocking(), setFoo().
this has been adjusted based on the feedback, the method is now configureBlocking(boolean)
the state of it can be used by calling isBlocking()

register is using enums, mainly cause Remy, while he was working with this API insisted on it. I had preferred using an int, just like the socket API, but since Remy had initially agreed to register, and proposed enum and unregister
we went with that.

> - see bellow - I don't think I understand the benefits of mixing
blocking
> and non-blocking in this interface, it is quite confusing.
It would be mixing it, its a one time config, during the BEGIN event,
you say
configureBlocking(true) or configureBlocking(false).
Comet is very much connection centric, so you can't mix it.

In the trunk API, its clear to what you are using, blocking or non
blocking, in the sandbox API, the swap
of it happens when invoking isWriteable or isReadable, making the state
of the comet connection confusing to the developer.

I'm not sure it's true - my understanding is that sandbox is all
non-blocking.
Invoking isWriteable is not blocking.

I think it would be ok to add a blocking waitForEvent() - combined with
isReadable()/isWriteable()
this would be a dead lock, as the Comet API must guarantee that a CometProcessor.event is only invoked by one worker thread at any time. The blocking you are talking about can be done using an async thread can be done by registering for the event you wish to be notified in and then
maybe await a latch countdown, or doing a sync/wait() combo.

it will allow a sort-of blocking model. But having methods that are blocking
sometimes
and sometimes not - based on some config - is dangerous and confusing.
As I mentioned, the trunk Comet API is actually very similar to java.nio API, hence developers familiar with that will instantly recognize
themselves and should get comfortable with the API.

Here are some of the things that might need to be clarified about the trunk API:

1. It is possible to not be registered for any events, and even do polling for data asynchronously 2. ERROR and END events, are an exception, you cant unregister for those, as those might require the
  underlying socket to be closed, or has already been closed
3. I believe it to be much cleaner to follow an event model, after all that is what Comet is. 4. In previous emails I have questioned the usability of "non blocking/async" reads and writes, as they are not implemented to true non block unless they entire buffer/filter stack is modified. A skilled Comet developer could take advantage of isReadable() or register(READ) and register(WRITE) to accomplish that exact thing without us having to implement the complexity of non blockable code,
  without rewriting lots of the coyote stuff.
5. The current READ event in CoyoteAdapter ends up performing a blocking read if data has been received but its not enough for ServletInputStream.read() to actually generate data, just so that it can produce a real READ event, there is no real way to get around this without a major effort described in 4) 6. sleep() and callback() are names that already have confused folks in this thread, they just don't make sense. But its not the names alone, people think of Comet as request/response stuff, when it isn't. Comet is centered around a socket connection, and the events generated are a direct derivative of that. That is why I have chosen to make the API similar to what's been in Java since 1.4 Comet is definitely more advanced than a servlet, and the complexity of it is higher, having less methods on an API wont make it less complex, since the complexity sits in understanding the concept.

I'm gonna work up some examples so that we can take a look at different scenarios and how the APIs would differ

Filip

Costin

Filip