On Jul 31, 2007, at 2:27 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:

Hi David,

our default bundled JULI only has a binding for java.util.logging. On

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/extras.html

there is a very short description, how one builds a JULI, that is log4j enabled. The static binding was chosen, because commons- logging auto detection provided to many problems w.r.t. redeployment and classloader leaks.

Cool, thanks.

My personal opinion: java.util.logging very much lacks a good formatter. The default 2 line formatting of messages, splitting timestamps and message in separate lines, is not really useful in production. Many ad hoc log analysis practices work on a line oriented basis.

Was wondering about that. I've heard people grumble about java.util.logging, but haven't (till now) heard anything specific. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but the Tomcat 6 log files still seem to follow the one line per message format. How did you pull that off?

-David

Regards,

Rainer

David Blevins wrote:
So another topic,
There's a thread going on in OpenEJB at the moment about possibly switching away from log4j for the reason that the logging config gets easily messed up in embedded environments (maven, specificaly) and of course to have one less dependency -- the 3.0 server is a bit beefier than the 1.0. I remembered not seeing log4j or commons logging in Tomcat 6 and started investigating -- how I discovered the inlining. Seems juli is a trimmed down version of commons-logging (attractive), but it isn't obvious what's driving the actual logging. Didn't see any inlined log4j classes. Are you using java.util.Logging or something else? Also noticed the javadoc of juli says it allows for per- classloader configuration of logging. What exactly does that mean?
Thanks!
-David

kippdata
informationstechnologie GmbH   Tel: 0228 98549 -0
Bornheimer Str. 33a            Fax: 0228 98549 -50
53111 Bonn                     www.kippdata.de

HRB 8018 Amtsgericht Bonn / USt.-IdNr. DE 196 457 417
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Thomas Höfer, Rainer Jung, Sven Maurmann
kippdata
informationstechnologie GmbH   Tel: +49 228 98549 -0
Bornheimer Str. 33a            Fax: +49 228 98549 -50
D-53111 Bonn                   www.kippdata.de