Mark Thomas wrote:
Bill Barker wrote:
I'm so tired of this thread, so let's settle it once and for all. I'm backing Remy's suggestion to send the current trunk to the sandbox:
[X] +1 Let's end the revolution
[ ] +0 What revolution?
[ ] -1 Viva the revolultion
This applies to this proposal only. Other changes should be proposed
in other threads.

Expanding on what I said on private@ as I see no reason for it not to
be part of the public discussion...

I don't see a need for a separate 6.0.x and 6.1.x development at this
point. I have yet to see a convincing technical argument that there is
something sufficiently new and/or different to justify this overhead.
There is enough work to do to maintain 4.1.x, 5.0.x (which we aren't
doing a great job of and I am several months past my promise to do a
security release for 5.0.x), 5.5.x and 6.0.x without adding yet an
other branch.

Simply, trunk should never have been called trunk, it is a branch. It
should be moved to 6.0.x/branches/whatever

In terms of moving forward, merge the changes in 'trunk' to 6.0.x.
Ideally this should be done commit by commit or groups of related
commits so we can discuss each of the additions if necessary. If any
attract a veto or are viewed as too experimental etc they can stay in
6.0.x/branches/whatever until the issues are resolved or that feature
is abandoned. My expectation is that 99% of what is in /trunk can move
to 6.0.x/trunk with little or no debate.
your points are completely valid, here is the thread for trunk
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=117940240523993&w=2

the idea, discussed in this thread, was to freeze 6.0 API all together, and continue with new changes in trunk, everyone was in agreement. and if comet was the culprit, that feature can be pulled out, I've must have said that 3 dozen times now.

just the history of how we got to where we are at.

At this point, I'm beat down by this argument, I'm getting vetoes on other areas just cause folks don't properly look over the patch submitted and are on a pure vendetta, it's too much of a personal head ache to fight that kind of attitude, that has no technical backup.

do whatever you want, I'll tag along, my objections have been noted, that's good for now.

Filip