On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 12:22 -0800, mraible wrote:
> I'm getting the following error when trying to build Tomcat 6 today.
>
> compile:
>     [javac] Compiling 1045 source files to
> /Users/mraible/dev/tomcat6/output/classes
>     [javac]
> /Users/mraible/dev/tomcat6/java/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JDTCompiler.java:38:
> package org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler does not exist
>     [javac] import org.eclipse.jdt.core.compiler.IProblem;
>     [javac]                                      ^
>     [javac]
> /Users/mraible/dev/tomcat6/java/org/apache/jasper/compiler/JDTCompiler.java:39:
> package org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler does not exist
>     [javac] import org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ClassFile;
>     [javac]                                          ^

Looks like your missing ecj, which during build time Tomcat looks for a
jdt.jar. On Gentoo we package it as ecj.jar, and I rename the symlink to
it on build. Not sure what it is called by default.

Actually one of the things I would like to see Tomcat stop doing is
rebundling that jar. Since it ends up later on as jasper-jdt.jar. Which
I have to double check on, but am pretty sure it's just a renaming.

If just renaming I will likely hack around that, and/or patch the build
system on Gentoo for that. Since presently it causes that jar to be
copied, verses symlinked. So people don't benefit when ecj is updated
per bug, or etc.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java