Filip,

Would you consider auto-encoding only = and ; in the cookie value, but leaving everything else alone for v0 cookies? Would this possibly pass TCK?

- Jim
no regression, if you do this

 c = new javax.servlet.http.Cookie("abcv1","123==");
 c.setVersion(1);
 response.addCookie(c);

then it works just fine.

however, if you do
 c = new javax.servlet.http.Cookie("abcv0","123==");
 response.addCookie(c);

then it doesn't. if we encode it, (which we did at our first attempt for v0 cookies) we actually don't pass the TCK. only v1 cookies should be double quoted, in previous versions of tomcat, I believe everything got double quoted, regardless of version on the cookie.

v0 cookies, the spec says

/NAME/=/VALUE/
   This string is a sequence of characters excluding semi-colon, comma
   and white space. If there is a need to place such data in the name
   or value, some encoding method such as URL style %XX encoding is
   recommended, though no encoding is defined or required.

the problem was that encoding wasn't defined nor required. so when we followed the spec, and added %XX encoding, TCK tests failed.

at this point I would say, we handle cookies correctly. if one needs == at the end of the cookie, then they need to use v1 cookies, according to spec

Filip