I thought this proposal was that at digester-configuration-time, trying to add the same rule twice would raise an exception. IIUC you are talking about digester-runtime behavior which I think everyone thinks is now fine.

I'm not really familiar with digester but wondered how practical is is to recognize duplicate rules.

thanks
david jencks