P.S. Thanks for the reply. No one had responded yet and I despite much googling I really couldn't seem to find any discussion of the nuances of this area of the servlet spec.

Jess Holle wrote:
Leech, Jonathan wrote:
I read the spec the same way as you do. I have written filters that are even more permissive than this fix, and I have also written filters that strictly adhere to the spec. Strictly adhering to the spec is definitely the way to go.
If you want/need your application to violate the spec, you can write a
filter that allows it.

I wasn't aware that you can call getOutputStream() in a JSP, when did
that change?
I'm not 100% certain this works. I am rather certain you can have a JSP forward to something else that calls getOutputStream() -- effectively on the same response. I suspect the same sort of thing would work in the page itself.

Of course you have to be sure not to fill (and to reset) your JspWriter's buffer in any case.

--
Jess Holle