From: Quintin Beukes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AJP and PHP
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <dev@tomcat.apache.org>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2008, 11:46 PM

Hey,

I once looked for an AJP implementation for Java, and what I found was
that there is only one implementation, and that is for Apache.

>From here, it's not a very complex protocol. It's basically a
"compressed" http implementation. The concepts are very similar, with
GET/POST requests, Headers, body, etc.

It won't be a quick one though, as it's very binary, and this would
end up messy and buggy in PHP if not done properly (from personal
experience I found that PHP tends to get very messy very quickly with
these type of things).

If I were you, I would rather make a PHP module that makes use of
mod_proxy_ajp to do the requests. PHP modules are not difficult to
write. The idea I'm talking of goes something like this.

1. Make a PHP module that exposes a function ajp_request($target_url,
$method, $encoding, mixed $data) (or more than one for different call
types, ex. form encoded post, raw post, get, etc.)
2. Then inside this function (on the module or "c" language level)
you
would hook into mod_proxy_ajp and do a request, returning a stream
from which can be read.

For raw posts you can even expose an output stream. This function
would also return a resource handle, which can be used to set headers.

Just figured I'd share this with you. This is definitely the route I
would go. Especially since you'll benefit from the 3rd party
implementation, which would result in your application effectively
growing as their's grow (Their bug fixes become your bug fixes). And
on top of this you already have a high-performance, mature AJP
implementation to work from.

If you do decide to implement this, you should definitely make it open
source. I'm sure if you did PECL you would have. And I'm sure it would
even become a standard PHP module, as it can be very useful,
especially for web services (like you mentioned).

--
Quintin Beukes