Mladen Turk schrieb:
> Rainer Jung wrote:
>> Hi Mladen,
>>
>> any thoughts, how we could make configuring connection_keepalive better?
>>
>> Of course by introducing even more attributes we can keep the individual
>> CPING timeouts, but I don't really see a reason. I want to get the
>> attributes right, before we release this nice feature.
>>
>> Comments?
>>

> We must not change the existing behavior nor directives.
> They are widely used, so IMO, we can only use the
> additional directive (probe_timeout is fine),
> although ping_timeout is more intuitive.

I didn't want to change the behaviour. But if we want to make people
aware of the new (and better) attributes, we can always add attributes
to the deprecated_properties in jk_util.c. The only thing this does, is
logging a warning during startup. As long as we keep the code handling
the attributes (and of course we will keep it during 1.2.x), the
functionality wil still be there.

> We can then use that ping_timeout for connect_timeout
> if the connect_timeout value is boolean (allowing booleans first)
> The same for prepost_timeout.

That works.

> so.
> worker.x.ping_timeout=NNN
> worker.x.connect_timeout=True|On|1 (will set to ping_timeout)
> worker.x.prepost_timeout=True|On|1 (will set to ping_timeout)
>
> If you like we could use one additional
> worker.x.ping_mode=connect,prepost,keepalive
> I'd like we use single letters here 'CPK'

I like this much better. Letters are fine, I would allow short form
(letters) and long form (easier to understand in the configuration
file), like we do for activation. We could also add "a=all" meaning
whatever cping probes are there now and in the future.

I would suggest we use a non zero default value for ping_timeout, like
e.g. 10 seconds. That way most people only need to activate the type of
timeout wanted via ping_mode and need not care about the timeout value
itself. Code for setting internally prepost and connect timeouts gets
1-2 lines longer, because we can't simply take ping_timeout as the
default, but the user experience will be better (e.g. if the set
ping_mode to use pings, but don't give any timeouts?).

People only using the old attributes prepost_timeout and connect_timeout
will not experience any differing behaviour.

> Also I don't like we deprecate *_timeout directives.

Even if it only means "log a warning"?

> Next,
> connection_keepalive should probably get
> renamed to connection_keepalive_interval

... or maybe we get rid of "keepalive", because there is already so much
confusion between TCP and HTTP keepalive (and now also AJP). What about
connection_ping_interval or connection_test_interval?

I saw you already started with some changes, I can add some of the rest
tomorrow evening.

Regards,

Rainer