On Apr 4, 2009, at 3:01 PM, Xie Xiaodong wrote:

Hello, Dear All,
  First, thank you very much for you valuable comments, Mark.
I've revised my project plan based on the comments of Mark, since I could not edit my proposal any longer, I wrote the revised version of project plan in a comment of my proposal, you can find it for certain by searching the
"Show Student Proposal" page with "xiaodong xie wrote". Sorry for this
inconvenience.
I am now getting myself familiar with the Servlet Container Profile of JSR-196 in order to move the Authentication funcationality of valve into some independent structure consistence with JSR-196. This part will be added
into my project proposal in some comment later.
Any more comments, feedback and criticism to my proposal are welcomed.

While it is possible to implement the built in auth methods (BASIC, DIGEST, FORM, CLIENT_CERT) as jaspi auth modules it's not as efficient as having a more tomcat-specific auth method. The important part is really having a validate request method called before the web resource constraint check and a secure response method called after the request has been processed. There are a lot of opportunities for improved caching if you don't follow the jaspi model exactly, mostly by letting the authenticator return the user identity rather than passing in a brand new Subject instance for each request.

I recommend that the valve or filter look something like this:

check user data constraints
Status status = validate request
if (status == success) {
  check web resource constraints
  process request
  secure response
}
//otherwise the validate request call will have set up an appropriate response to continue the authentication message exchange

"validate request" and "secure response" are delegated to some kind of authenticator similar to but more efficient than a jaspi auth context

constraint checking can either be (abstract) methods on the (base) valve or delegated to some other object. The point here is to easily support both constraint based checking (as done in tomcat today) and jacc based permission checking (as done in geronimo and presumably other javaee integrations such as jboss)

thanks
david jencks

--
Sincerely yours and Best Regards,