sebb wrote:
There are quite a lot of public mutable static fields in the current
Tomcat6 codebase.

Such fields can allow malicious or accidental changes to occur, so
should be avoided as far as possible.
[And if a class has public mutable static fields it's generally
impossible to make it thread-safe.]

The code also has quite a lot of public mutable instance fields, which
are almost as bad.

Is there any interest in fixing these?
not from me, these observations are purely theoretical.
Fixing things for the sake of fixing it, can only lead to these things
1. At best, no change introduced
2. a convoluted SVN history
3. Possibly introducing new bugs, since there are no test cases for the changes introduced

If you can't guarantee against 3, then there is no benefit at all to these changes.
Filip
If so, I can create patches for many of them.
Some classes might need redesigning.