sebb wrote:
On 26/06/2009, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com> wrote:
sebb wrote:

On 24/06/2009, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com> wrote:

Cleaned up and fixed.

 The release is located here:
 http://people.apache.org/~fhanik/jdbc-pool/v1.0.5/

Exactly the same path names were used previously; I assume you are
referring to the following versions of the files:

apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-bin.tar.gz.md5:808cf400c4f7f4de7294b844c68108fa
apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-bin.zip.md5:3f20849d6b0dbe29bb9707cd519c456c apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-src.tar.gz.md5:6a63d1e77c47c5d6385cf680dac4514c apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-src.zip.md5:7b4870d50e498a18014031589b8a88eb
rather than the older ones:

apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-bin.tar.gz.md5:b6081e6d34a8e9ecd70b505c90e73485
apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-bin.zip.md5:76cb2efd7ce7093d71e4a989e71d2874 apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-src.tar.gz.md5:d8d08870f3479080582d3261a4d1afe5 apache-tomcat-jdbc-1.0.5-src.zip.md5:cc6992ff33524f15052f9b72588b628f
==

The source and test source archives contain META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files
which don't belong in a source archive.

 these are fine.

The binary archives contain MD5 hashes of all but one of the jars;
again, these don't belong in the archives.

The jars should contain NOTICE and LICENSE files.

 no they should not. I think I've told you before, that NOTICE and LICENSE
files are for a release, not for individual files within a release.

There's no easily accessible documentation on how to build and test the
code.
If someone is familiar with Ant, they can work out what the targets
do, but the user should not have to do this.

The ant script automatically downloads jars, some of which don't have
Apache Licenses. In particular, the MySQL licence appears to be GPL,
which is not compatible with the AL.

 yes, I will remove this.

AFAICT, this is specifically forbidden:

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#options-build-may2
The "ant test" target generates a few warnings, e.g.

WARNING: Database connection pool evicter thread interval is set to
lower than 1 second.

Several of the tests fail.

 I will remove all tests. It was a bad idea to include to begin with, since
they are not part of the release either.

There's no documentation on what database needs to be set up in order
to run the database tests so I don't know if these are due to failure
to set up the database correctly or whether the test failures were
nothing to do with the database.

 that will be solved when the tests go away

In which case, how can reviewers test the code?
you misunderstand "test the code". When you test a car, do you run unit test on the car components? No you drive the car on the road.
Same thing goes on here.
That is not the solution either.

It should be fairly easy to remove the dependency on MySQL and c3p0 -
if not, then IMO the tests are too specific, as Tomcat DBCP should
work with any JDBC provider.
Actually, I can let the build script download MySQL, or change it to Derby. Its not forbidden to download something, as long as the user has to turn on a flag to do so.

As an experiment, I tried using Derby instead of MySQL, and most of
the tests worked. [I'm not yet sure why some tests failed.
Unfortunately the output gives no clue to me.]
I think its better to use Derby. yes.
I suggest changing the Ant test classpath to include whatever jars it
finds in the include directory, and change the test code to pick up
the database settings from build.properties Then all a tester has to
do is put their JDBC jar in the directory and set up the database as
required.

Ideally, the user should be given the option of running the JDBC tests
against whatever database they prefer. If the tests require tables etc
to be set up, these should either be done as part of the test setup,
or there should be clear documentation on what data needs to be set
up.

 <ballot>
 [ ] STABLE - I couldn't find any bugs
 [ ] BETA   - I found some bugs but not critical
 [ ] BROKEN - I found some show stoppers
 </ballot>

 Any comments ?

 Thanks,