On 17/12/2009, Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/16 sebb <seb...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Eclipse generates many thousands of warnings for the Tomcat6 code.
>  >
>  > For example, over 2000 missing @Override markers, over 3000 "raw type"
> warnings.
>  >
>  > Is it the intention to fix these (eventually)?
>  >
>  > If so, I can provide some patches to start fixing these.
>

> Mark worked to fix those warnings in Tomcat 7, so if you see
>  anything there, you are welcome.

Thanks, I've already provided quite a few such patches for TC7 ...

>  I am sure that there is no intention to fix those in TC 6.
>
>  I think that adding @Override or generics to the existing API is,
>  at least formally, an API change, and thus TC 7 is the right place to fix it.

@Override has RetentionPolicy.SOURCE so cannot affect the API.

As to applying generics to java/javax classes, I agree that the public
API must have the same signature as the specification, so I was
thinking of using @SuppressWarnings (again, retention source) to
suppress complaints about the raw types. As has been done in TC7.

However the implementation and private fields etc. could use generics
without changing the API.

>  Also, see the votes for the StringBuilder patches in STATUS.

TC7 has yet to be released, and even once it is released, TC6 will be
the dominant version for some while, so IMO considering treating TC6
as being in maintenance mode seems premature.

If my vote counted, I would +1 the StringBuilder patches...