On 03.03.2010 00:14, Bill Stoddard wrote:
On 3/2/2010 7:18 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 02/03/2010 00:20, Sandro Martini wrote:

For a Full Administration Console (I don't see this since a long time)
we have to see later, this is complex and requires many features ...
This is the bit that, to me, offers an opportunity for real value.

Do you think the effort could be interesting also for the Tomcat
community ?
Potentially. Something else to think about is handling multiple Tomcat
instances. If you could manage tens of instances from a single client
then that would get a lot of interest from the user community.
This was pretty much the description of the incubating Lokahi effort,
which
sadly was mothballed, for now, due to lack of interest from the developer
community.

Lokahi did not generate much interest from the user community...
unfortunately.

As far as I understand Lokahi tried to manage both, the Apache Webserver and Apache Tomcat. Its goal was real enterprise type management, so e.g. it put all configuration data into a database. That's a huge step from were we are now (Tomcat manager webapp) and in the Lokahi domain the "user" community is typically operations people who are often relatively far from being a developer and contributing.

Trying to aim at the middle ground might trigger more interest. Being able to remotely administer, but maybe not using a very high level configuration management. That's something one could also discuss on the users list.

AFAIK one of the problematic parts of the old admin webapp was getting storeconfig into a working and maintainable state. In other words: how does one correctly save changes applied to a configuration by a console?

Regards,

Rainer