Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Tomcat Wiki" for change
notification.

The "FAQ/CharacterEncoding" page has been changed by KonstantinKolinko.
The comment on this change is: Updated.
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/CharacterEncoding?action=diff&rev1=12&rev2=13

   1. [[#Q3|How do I change how POST parameters are interpreted?]]
   1. [[#Q4|How can I test if my configuration will work correctly?]]
   1. [[#Q6|How can I send higher characters in HTTP headers?]]
-  1. [[#Q8|What can you recommend to just make everything work?]]
+  1. [[#Q8|What can you recommend to just make everything work? -- How to use
UTF-8 everywhere.]]
   1. [[#Q9|Why does everything have to be this way?]]
-
   1. [[#Q5|I'm having a problem with character encoding in Tomcat 5]]

  == Answers ==
@@ -34, +33 @@

  <<Anchor(Q3)>>'''How do I change how POST parameters are interpreted?'''

  POST requests should specify the encoding of the parameters and values they
send. Since many clients fail to set an explicit encoding, the default is used
(ISO-8859-1). In many cases this is not the preferred interpretation so one can
employ a javax.servlet.Filter to set request encodings. Writing such a filter
is trivial. Furthermore Tomcat already comes with such an example filter.
Please take a look at:
-  4.x::
- {{{
- webapps/examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters/SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java
- }}}
   5.x::
  {{{

webapps/servlets-examples/WEB-INF/classes/filters/SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java
@@ -79, +74 @@

  You have to encode them in some way before you insert them into a header.
Using url-encoding (`%` + high byte number + low byte number) would be a good
idea.

- <<Anchor(Q8)>>'''What can you recommend to just make everything work?'''
+ <<Anchor(Q8)>>'''What can you recommend to just make everything work? -- How
to use UTF-8 everywhere.'''

- Using `UTF-8` as your character encoding for everything is a safe bet. This
should work for pretty much every situation. In order to completely switch to
using UTF-8, you need to make the following changes:
+ Using `UTF-8` as your character encoding for everything is a safe bet. This
should work for pretty much every situation.

-  1. Set URIEncoding="UTF-8" on your <Connector> in server.xml
+ In order to completely switch to using UTF-8, you need to make the following
changes:
+
+  1. Set {{{URIEncoding="UTF-8"}}} on your <Connector> in `server.xml`.
Connector]], [[http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html|AJP
Connector]].
   1. Use a [[#Q3|character encoding filter]] with the default encoding set to
UTF-8
-  1. Change all your JSPs to set the correct `Content-Type` (use `<%...@page
contentType="mime/type; charset=UTF-8" %>`)
-  1. Change all your servlets to set the content type for responses to UTF-8
+  1. Change all your JSPs to include charset name in their contentType. For
example, use {{{<%...@page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8" %>}}} for the
usual JSP pages and {{{<jsp:directive.page contentType="text/html;
charset=UTF-8" />}}} for the pages in XML syntax (aka JSP Documents).
+  1. Change all your servlets to set the content type for responses and to
include charset name in the content type to be UTF-8. Use
{{{response.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8")}}} or
{{{response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8")}}}.
-  1. Change any content-generation libraries you use (Velocity, Freemarker,
etc.) to use UTF-8 as the content type
+  1. Change any content-generation libraries you use (Velocity, Freemarker,
etc.) to use UTF-8 and to specify UTF-8 in the content type of the responses
that they generate.
   1. Disable any valves or filters that may read request parameters before
your character encoding filter or jsp page has a chance to set the encoding to
UTF-8.  For more information see
http://www.mail-archive.com/us...@tomcat.apache.org/msg21117.html.

  <<Anchor(Q9)>>'''Why does everything have to be this way?'''