>>>You have to create your own subclass of HttpServletRequestWrapper.
>>Note also, that the Servlet specification says something about
>>wrapping and unwrapping the requests and responses.
E.g., SRV.6.2.2, SRV.9.9.1 in the Servlet 2.5 specification.

Servlet specification does not talk about overriding getRequestURI,
getRequestURL or getServletPath methods. Also nothing about setRequest
method.
These methods are used by tomcat container for implementing request
forwarding and include.
My question was, why these are available on API for developers?
Overriding these methods will never work, in case

>>Note, that there is already one such well-known library,
>>http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

UrlRewriteFilter uses request forwarding and include. It does not (and
can not) use request wrapping.
Just a note, UrlRewriteFilter can not be used with Struts 2.1, because
Struts 2.1 uses servlet filters as controllers and we can not get
request dispatcher for filters.
This is also my second question. Why use servlet filter as controller?
Is struts 2.1 breaking servlet specification?

Thanks,
Unmesh