I'd be curious how many of the features in securityfilter can be done with
servlet 3 (which includes the ability for an app to programatically force a
login) and jaspic (jsr 196) which provides for pluggable authentication dialogs
between client and server (to overly simplify it).  It looks to me as if all
the features in your brief description are now supported by ee specs, which
also offer the advantages of container managed authorization.

thanks
david jencks