On Monday 30 August 2010 11:59:43 Henri Gomez wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I read this very interesting wiki on Tomcat and OS/X,
> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/TomcatOnMacOS
>
> No one never asked ASF for a Tomcat package for OS/X, ie in DMG format ?
> There is zip, tarball and Windows package but nothing for OS/X yet.

I don't see much benefit in a DMG packaging (for a server application) alone.
tar.gz is fine on Mac, and AFAIK a DMG can only be created on Mac OS X.

Other ideas for Mac (though none interests me personally enough to work on
it):
 * build a preference pane to control (start,stop) Tomcat
 * ship a sample launchd configuration
 * maybe build a Tomcat installer that
  * installs  Tomcat to a well-defined location that works well with the OS X
directory layout
  * provides a choice to install the launchd configuration or the preference
poane for manual control