On 09/29/2010 10:51 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
On 28.09.2010 19:41, Mladen Turk wrote:
Next the code
> echo "Tomact stopped but PID file could not be removed ($CATALINA_PID)."

Will fail on shells that handle ( ...) like ` ... `

Just as an info: you can use

echo 'Tomcat stopped but PID file could not be removed ('$CATALINA_PID').'

Or since this is a file name variable:
echo "Tomcat stopped but PID file could not be removed \`$CATALINA_PID'."

The notion `file.name' is a usual way of reporting the paths.
Most of the coreutils behave like that.

I'm not sure though, which shells really handle "(..)" or "[...]" inside a
string as above in a special way. I would expect most bigger shell scripts to fail then exactly
because this is so common in log outputs. So in my opinion the above was already
safe. I only know about the $((...)) idiom in ksh.

Think one of the Solaris shells behaves weird in those cases.
Anyhow, since braces are usually used for subshell section, a good
practice would be to avoid them entirely.

Regards
--
^TM