Am Dienstag, den 07.12.2010, 13:28 +0000 schrieb Mark Thomas:

> >> More auto formatting "helpfulness" by the look of it. No reason for
> >> String msg = sm.getString(
> >> not to be on one line.
> > It would probably break the 80 character limits :)
>
> I don't get this. I was suggesting the following:
> String msg = sm.getString(
>          "threadLocalLeakPreventionListener.lifecycleEvent.error",
>          event);
> i.e. get rid of the unnecessary line break.
Oh, didn't think of that one, you are right :)

> >> If we can pull some Eclipse settings together to help folks with this
> >> that would be great.
> > That would be great, if we knew what the conventions were.
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/getinvolved.html only mentions four
> > conventions.
>
> I'm not sure on the best way to approach this. The code is not
> consistent. The committers don't have a consistent style for new stuff.
> I'm not sure how much we can agree on.
>
> What I have been doing is slowly adding rules to Checkstyle. So far
> there hasn't been any push back but I'm sure there will be some at some
> point. My idea was to add the rules the community was happy with and
> where we disagree leave things as they are. Modifier order and redundant
> modifiers are the next ones on the list. I'll see if there is an
> operator placement one ... there is so I'll add that as well (commented
> out until the issues are fixed).
Great, I really love to use eclipse auto formatting, but that can only
be used, if we commit ourselves onto one style.

If we have already commited the style by checkstyle rules, we should
prepare an eclipse formatting rule that matches those.

Regards
 Felix