On 18 January 2011 19:48, Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/18 sebb <seb...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> The empty string is assumed to be "perl", according to:
>>

> No. Absence of this init-param is what will be "perl".
>
> Setting it explicitly overwrites the default.
>
>        if (getServletConfig().getInitParameter("executable") != null) {
>            cgiExecutable = getServletConfig().getInitParameter("executable");
>        }

I see, perhaps the docs could make this more obvious?

>>> So cmd /q /c will be written as
>>>
>>> <init-param>
>>>  <param-name>executable</param-name>
>>>  <param-value>cmd.exe</param-value>
>>> </init-param>
>>> <init-param>
>>>  <param-name>executable-arg-1</param-name>
>>>  <param-value>/q</param-value>
>>> </init-param>
>>> <init-param>
>>>  <param-name>executable-arg-2</param-name>
>>>  <param-value>/c</param-value>
>>> </init-param>
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Ant has a nicer format:
>>
>> <exec executable="cmd">
>>    <arg value="/c"/>
>>    <arg value="ant.bat"/>
>>    <arg value="-p"/>
>> </exec>
>
> That above was a part of web.xml.  Maybe you mean "arg-1", "arg-2" etc
> (instead of "executable-arg-1")?

No, I meant that the Ant format is much easier to use, and could
perhaps be added to web.xml.

Instead of

<init-param>
 <param-name>executable</param-name>
 <param-value>cmd.exe</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
 <param-name>executable-arg-1</param-name>
 <param-value>/q</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
 <param-name>executable-arg-2</param-name>
 <param-value>/c</param-value>
</init-param>

you would allow:

<exec executable="cmd.exe">
   <arg value="/q"/>
   <arg value="/c"/>
</exec>

which is very much simpler

Or perhaps extend param to allow multiple values:

<init-param>
 <param-name>executable</param-name>
 <param-value>cmd.exe</param-value>
 <param-value>/q</param-value>
 <param-value>/c</param-value>
</init-param>

But maybe they would both be too hard to add to the current XML syntax.

And both assume that ordering is preserved when parsing multiple tags
with the same name.