Tim,

On 8/21/2011 5:49 PM, Tim Whittington wrote:
> The change in [1] has broken existing behaviour in some applications.

To echo some of Mark's comments:

> Consider the following situation:
> - An application is context path /application
> - The application has a servlet mapped to /*

So, the only valid URIs should be of the form "/application/*". Note the
/ before the *.

If you could map something to, say, "*" (no leading slash), then maybe
this could be considered a bug, but since the simplest possible valid
URI that maps to your webapp is actually "/application/", I don't think
it's a bug.

Now, it may be interfering with your webapp's operation, but that's a
different story. :)

> This seems wrong - we're considering a path as being part of a
> context, but establishing a session that will not include that path
> (for some browsers at least).

Who is "we", here? The URI path "/application" is the "context path",
but not a valid URI within that context. To get a valid URI, you need to
add something that starts with a /.

> This notably makes Cookie based session tracking inconsistent with URL
> rewriting.

Does it? How?

What part of your webapp chokes when cookies are received with a path
prefix of "/application/" instead of "/application"?

-chris