2011/10/9 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>:
> tomcat.getConnector().setPort( 0 );

1) Look at how TomcatBaseTest assigns subsequent port numbers,
starting with 8001.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/test/org/apache/catalina/startup/TomcatBaseTest.java?view=markup#l84

2) While the proposed feature may have some usage, I think that I
would want more control in what range the opened port number will be.

Just setting a "0" would not provide such control.

3) There are several Connector/Endpoint implementations in Tomcat.
While java.net.ServerSocket does support port number of "0",  I am not
sure that APR-based implementation does allow it.

2011/10/9 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 09/10/2011 15:08, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'd like to be able to use a random port when using embedded Tomcat in
>> unit tests to test servlets.
>> Currently it's "locked" by a test in Connector#startInternal.
>> Is it intentional ?
>
> svn blame would have answered that for you.

To be specific, that was

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko