2011/10/28 Francis Galiegue <fgalie...@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 19:25, Konstantin Kolinko
> <knst.koli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2011/10/28 Francis Galiegue <fgalie...@gmail.com>:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> I understand some of you use IDEA for developing Tomcat. So do I. Can
>>> you share your project settings (I am thinking in particular about
>>> intention settings, code formatting, copyright etc) so that, when I'm
>>> ready to submit a new patch, this "basic" stuff do not raise any
>>> concerns?
>>
>> Take a look at
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/getinvolved.html#Coding_Conventions
>>
>> Most of us use Eclipse IDE. I use "Java conventions" but changed to
>> use spaces instead of tabs. I think there would be something like that
>> in IDEA.
>>

> Yep, I have read this already. I was thinking more about intentions:
> IDEA has loads of them which pertain to coding practices, I use my own
> set which maybe doesn't fit the taste of core developers (for one, I
> do a heavy use of the "final" keyword, I sometimes create variables
> with a broad scope and so on).
>
> I'll start creating a custom profile with coding style only. I was
> wondering OTOH whether someone was using, for instance, the checkstyle
> plugin, what its settings were and so on...

Checkstyle is used at build time. You have to add explicitly add the
following line
to build.properties to enable it:
execute.validate=true

Its settings are in res/checkstyle, but I do not know whether you can
configure your plugin the same way as the build uses it and whether it
is needed.

Another notable Eclipse plugin is Findbugs, with exception rules in res/findbugs

As for the rest - Tomcat code is 10+ years old, and comes from various
contributors. The styles can be different in different places.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko