2011/12/23 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> On 23/12/2011 20:53, Olivier Lamy wrote:

>>> One thing that does come to mind is that this is a lot of work being
>>> done that might come to nothing.
>> If I have fun I can do non useful work :-) sure not too long time.
>> BTW I know it's possible to have a maven build for tomcat.
>> I will finish importing current stuff I have done in the github fork
>> and provide a working build in the sandbox branch.
>> After it's more a decision from the tomcat community (I still wonder
>> what a community is: only dev folks, users , possible new contributors
>> etc... maybe all of that).
>> So as I cannot be really objective in such discussion/decision :-).
>> I will let other decide. (I just wanted to prove it can be done
>> relatively easily)
>
> Fair enough. It just looks like a lot of work to me but it will be very
> useful to be able to compare the two builds side by side.
As I'm not a windauze user, I will have some issues to test the
windauze dist :-)

>>> Of course, you are free to scratch your
>>> own itch but I wondered if you thought about looking at the current ant
>>> file Tomcat uses to create the Maven artifacts and seeing if there was
>>> some room for improvement. Clearly, there hasn't been much Maven
>>> expertise around here until recently and improving the current process
>>> may end up being more productive. For example, a fix for [1] that used
>>> the current build process would be very helpful.
>>
>> Not sure this has any link with the current maven metadata provided by
>> the current ant build.
>> The ant build can certainly provide all MANIFEST files to include
>> needed osgi metadatas.
>> It's just something to do manually. At least the maven plugin provided
>> by the felix project verify a bit manually writen osgi metadata.
>
> If we switched to a Maven build would we still need to write this
> manually or would that plug-in write it for us?

In both cases, there is a manual work to do to declare osgi stuff like
Export-Package or Import-Package etc...

But at least felix maven plugin can verify Export/Import-Package
declarations with some classes analysis in the module and warn or fail
the build if non correct.

> Mark

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com