We would like to use the flexibility of the standard logging mechanism for
the AccessLogValue.  I could find no way to do this.  Looking at the
AccessLogValve code in Tomcat 7, it seems it would really would not be hard
to add.

There already is standard logger in the AccessLogValve class, which is
where error in the logger itself get routed.
    private static final Log log = LogFactory.getLog(AccessLogValve.class);

This still makes a lot of sense, and should probably be kept separate.
What I would propose is that a new attribute be added, called maybe
"systemLoggerName".  If this is set, then the logger by that name would be
used instead of the current hard-coded file logger.  (Errors would still go
to the statically defined Logger.)

I already tried this with the XML listed below and a slightly modified
AccessLogValve and it seems to work perfectly.  If this is something that
would be considered a positive change, I would be happy to submit a patch
and propose some documentation updates.

I am not exactly sure how this all works, especially since this is more of
an enhancement rather than a bug fix.  I sure there are guidelines for when
in a release cycle these types of changes are appropriate.

Mark

<Valve
  className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
  directory="log"
  prefix="localhost_access_log."
  systemLoggerName="mylogger"
  pattern="common"