On 06/06/2012 00:22, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2012/6/6 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

>>> Please explain, why do you think that this file is unused?
>>
>> Because:
>> - it is not referenced anywhere in the code base
>
> It should not be referenced. We do not bundle Ant with Tomcat.
>
>> - it does not include JspC
>
> Those tasks are related to server management. You do not need to
> precompile JSPs for that.
>
> It can be solved by adding the two missing tasks.
>
>> - all our code examples (including the docs) use catalina.tasks to do
>> the same thing
>
> Though we do not directly use
>   org/apache/catalina/ant/antlib.xml
>
> we certainly do use the one here:
>   org/apache/catalina/ant/jmx/antlib.xml
>
> The latter one is mentioned in the docs:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/monitoring.html
>
> I would also say that antlib sounds like a more modern approach.
>
> Anyway I am -1 on removing this file from stable versions. It may
> break systems and I do not see what problem this removal solves.

The problem it solves is unnecessary duplication leading to additional
maintenance effort and bugs when they get out of sync. I don't see the
point of having two files that do the same thing. I don't particularly
care whether we keep catalina.tasks or antlib.xml. I just deleted the
one we weren't using anywhere and hadn't documented anywhere.

I can restore the file in 7.0.x easily enough.

If you prefer antlib.xml to catalina.tasks then I have no objection to
you making antlib.xml the standard in 8.0.x onwards as long as the
documentation is updated to that effect as well.