On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 11:43 +0000, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > Using multiple pollsets is only needed on some platforms (Windows ...),
> > and it is possible it is not supposed to be mandatory now (Windows
> > should be able to handle large pollsets now). So if you accept to drop
> > support for running production on older things (ex: XP), it can be
> > simplified. To be confirmed though ;)
>
> Tempting...
>
> XP is still my primary development environment and only this week I
> found the solution to the hardware compatibility issue that was stopping
> me upgrading.
>
> If XP has an issue (which doesn't surprise me at all) then I suspect
> Server 2003 will have the same problem. That is supported until (at
> least) July 2015 so I think dropping support (as much as I like deleting
> code) is a little premature.

It is not really a bug: only the newer Windows (Vista+) have efficient
polling. With previous versions, small pollsets have to be used because
(apparently) it can only poll over 64 sockets at a time. If the size is
over 1000, there is a big performance impact. It is supposed to be
handled well in APR (using the new APIs if available).

Source: Mladen some time ago. Hopefully, I understood everything
correctly ;)

Rémy