Back in August 2011 (a long time ago, I know) Mark wrote a blog posting about
Tomcat 8 and Java 7:

http://www.tomcatexpert.com/blog/2011/08/25/apache-tomcat-8-and-java-7-will-they-work-together

In it, he said "We create a new major version of Tomcat when there are new
versions of three specifications-Servlet, JavaServer Pages (JSP) and Expression
Language (EL)." I know I keep hearing about Tomcat 8 being for Java EE 7, but
as of yet I haven't found any evidence at all that EE 7 will include a new
version of the JSP specification. I have found several lists, one of them only
a week old, of all the specifications in EE 7, and JSP-next was not among them.
My Google searches for "JSP 2.3" and "JSP 3.0" yielded no results that actually
had anything to do with the next JSP specification.

So, will Tomcat 8 be targeted for EE 7, or will it wait until JSP-next comes
out, even if that takes a good deal longer than EE 7?

Also, I know that a lot depends on the timeline of EE 7, but now that that date
is approaching, do we have a GENERAL timeframe for Tomcat 8? Are we talking
late 2013? Or could it take until 2014?

Thanks,

Nick

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely
upon this message or attachment(s); and (2) please notify the sender by reply
e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s). Underwriters
Laboratories Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors,
omissions, corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.