Hi,

I have ported a refactoring of character encoding (and decoding) to
trunk, using NIO rather than the creative hacks that are used. It makes
the IO nice and symmetrical, but I haven't specifically tested any
performance (I couldn't stand the old style, so it had to go regardless
of the consequences).

See here for what it looks like:
http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossweb/branches/7.2.x/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/util/buf/C2BConverter.java

To use it, there's a number of minor changes scattered in the IO and URI
encoding. Should I commit it ?

Note: Although this is not required by Servlet 3.1 [for now], it was
useful to do async IO with the Servlet reader/writer, since it is far
preferable to have good visibility on the buffering (essentially, it
only uses the main byte buffer of the Input/OutputBuffer).

Rémy