On 21/03/2013 05:35, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Recent Mark's commits in Tomcat 7, 8 replaced custom
> implementations(*) of base64
> with use of the following class from JAXB:
>
> javax.xml.bind.DatatypeConverter
>
> This affects base64 processing in our own classes and in our copy of
> Commons FileUpload.
> The original fileupload library in commons was not changed (I do not
> see [1] change in [2] @1459121).
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/r1458726
> [2]
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/fileupload/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/fileupload/util/mime/Base64Decoder.java?view=markup
>
> First, it seems wrong, as this JAXB API was not designed as a general
> purpose base64 codec.
>
> I hereby -1 on this change, on the following ground:

OK. While I don't agree with you completely, I do agree that it would be
better to find an alternative solution. I suggest that we copy the
Base64 decoder/encoder from Commons Codec to a new o.a.tomcat.util.codec
package and update Tomcat 7 & 8 to use that (and point the deprecation
markers to this implementation) rather than DatatypeConverter.

I have some other bits and bobs to look at first today but I start on
this shortly unless anyone raises an objection.