Hi,
I found that when the NIO connector is used the problem is gone. With
protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol" in server.xml the
example is working just fine.

The wrong content of inputBuffer in WsFrameBase causes the observed
behavior and I haven't tracked it further to the default connector in
tomcat 8.

Best Regards
Nikolai