On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 May 2013 00:37, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
> wrote:
> > Nick,
> >
> > On 5/14/13 6:35 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
> >> I recently became a committer on the Logging project and thus I now
> have an @apache.org address. Since it's a forwarding address, I'm having
> it forward to my Google Apps email address (the address I'm sending from
> now).

> apache.org address. I've set up my @apache.org address as an additional
> "From" address in GMail. If I send an email from GMail to my $work address
> and select my @apache.org address is my from address, it shows up as
> "from" my @apache.org address when I receive the email on the other end.
> dev-subscr...@tomcat.apache.org, it replied that my GMail address was
> already subscribed.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any experience with this? How do you subscribe your @
> apache.org addresses?
> >
> > You have to configure your @apache.org address as a /sender/ and not
> > just a recipient. Basically, your email client needs to have an account
> > with y...@apache.org.
> >
> > Or you could just do what I do and not bother with using the @apache.org
> > on the mailing lists.
>
> Indeed, but if you really want to subscribe as your ASF address:
>
> The mailing list software supports 3rd party [un]subscriptions, see:

> Just change
>
> list-unsubscribe-user=...

> list-subscribe-user=...

Thanks, Sebb. I was able to use this technique to subscribe my
@apache.orgaddress, but then when I tried to send an email to the list
it thought I
was sending from my (unsubscribed) GMail address and rejected it, saying I
wasn't subscribed.

I believe it boiled down to the "Sender" header, as Chris suggested.
Messages I sent using the @apache.org from address had my
@apache.orgaddress in the "From" header but my GMail address in the
"Sender" header.
This is a standards-compliance thing when a server sends emails on behalf
of a domain it is not authoritative for.

I took a different approach, and I think it will work. In GMail account
settings, you can tell it to send email for a particular From address
through different SMTP servers. I set it up to send through Apache's
people.apache.org. Actually, I clicked the "Send email through @apache.org's
SMTP servers" and GMail pre-populated the field with people.apache.org, so
it knew something apparently. Now the emails I send don't have "Sender"
headers anymore, so that has to be a good sign, right?

I'm sending this email from my @apache.org address so we'll see if it works.

Nick