On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18/08/2013 20:06, Raymond Auge wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >> First of all this is a container concern, not an application
> >> concern. Secondly, a security manager applies JVM wide.

I agree 100%

However, in this case the JSP impl is preventing the container itself from
making any such change! The JSP impl has no business making the decision on
behalf of either the container or JVM.

> <snip/>
>
> > Nowhere in any specification is this stated!
>
> Maybe not in language that is immediately clear but this is stated in
> the J2EE platform specification. (section EE.6.2.2)

I infer no such meaning from the EE spec. I fact the spec seems to go out
of it's way to avoid claiming what is NOT allowed and only talks about what
is minimally required by each of the stackholders.

Furthermore, why couldn't any of "EE.6.2.2.3 System Administrator’s
Responsibilities" be implemented as a web application designed to simplify
management of these responsibilities?

As long as the policies imposed by the administrator are respected, why
does it matter where policy management takes place?

In fact, if I'm not mistaken one significant point for the JVM's Security
API being "dynamic" as opposed to being completely "static", is so that
management can be performed, either programmatically, or
remotely (otherwise why would these APIs even exist were that not the case).

<snip/>

.. none of which explains why the Jasper retains static final check of
whether security manager is enabled or not.

Sincerely,
- Ray