On 16.10.2013 20:21, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 5 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC4 are:
> - Stability fixes in the APR/native connector
> - Stability fixes for non-blocking IO and WebSocket
> - Improvements to unit tests to reduce incidence of false reports
> - Add a drawing board example to the WebSocket examples
> - A handful of bug fixes
> - A small number of enhancements including direct gzip support in the
>   default Servlet
> - More HTML clean-up
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC5/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-186/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC5/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC5 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC5 alpha

+1 as alpha.

Overview:

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src consistent with svn tag
- builds fine but
  - Few warning about unsafe or unchecked operations.
    Only 0 or 1 new one, some of the RC1 ones are fixed.
    See full list at end of mail.
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- no Javadoc warnings
- some tiny MBean data changes
- No unit test failures, great!

- Warnings, errors and exception counts during unit tests a bit
  higher than for RC 3

- JMX MBean-Comparison with RC 3 (all expected):
  - MBean example webapp new welcome file index.xhtml
  - MBean example webapp ignoreAnnotations changed from false to true
  - Runtime MBean common.loader system property all entries are now
    quoted.

Build and tests were done using Java 1.7.0_40. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc,
tcnative was 1.1.29 based on APR 1.4.8 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e (plus a few
patches).

Unit test warnings: 95
  - 29 more than RC1, 13 less than RC3
  - most additional ones in tribes, especially from 27 (RC1) resp.
    59 (RC3) to 46 (RC5):
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.sendElectionMsgToNextInline
Unable to send election message
to:org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.MemberImpl[tcp://
  - 8 ones new in RC3, still in RC5:
      org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint.shutdownExecutor The
executor associated with thread pool [http-apr-127.0.0.1-auto-I] has not
fully shutdown. Some application threads may still be running.
  - up from 4 (RC3) to 6:
      IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel.
Probable cause: Keep alive socket closed[null].

Unit test SEVERE messages: 420 total (-19 rel RC1, -37 rel RC3).

Here's the top 20 SEVERE messages:

Count  Message
  48 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error
deploying configuration descriptor
/.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml
  48 org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal
ContainerBase.addChild: start:
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [dispatch] in context with path [] threw
exception [Opps.] with root cause
  36 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet error threw exception
  27 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event
threw exception
  15 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] appears to have started a thread named
[pool-N-thread-M] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.
  15 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [servlet] in context with path [] threw
exception
  12
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP methods
[POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   9
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP methods
[POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Error
listenerStart
   6
org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP methods
[GET] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
   6
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.messageReceived
Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal.
   6 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [] is still processing a request that has yet to
finish. This is very likely to create a memory leak. You can control the
time allowed for requests to finish by using the unloadDelay attribute
of the standard Context implementation.
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [regular] in context with path [] threw
exception
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
Servlet.service() for servlet [jsp] in context with path [/test] threw
exception [/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46)
Attribute qualified names must be unique within an element] with root cause
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.event
Servlet.service() for servlet [comet] in context with path [] threw
exception
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context
[/myapp] startup failed due to previous errors
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Skipped
installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
   6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Error
configuring application listener of class
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener

"Exception" in output of unit tests: 467 times (-8 rel. RC1, -26 rel RC5).

Top exception counts:

Count Exception
  75 javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
  48 org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot@HEX]
  39 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [/.../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp] is not valid
   9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <ordering> element is limited
to 1 occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <name> element is limited to 1
occurrence
   9 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <absolute-ordering> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9 java.io.IOException: Invalid CRLF, no CR character encountered.
   9 java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war (No such file or directory)
   9 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [/.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war] is not valid
   6 org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46) Attribute
qualified names must be unique within an element
   6 org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.NioReplicationTask.run
IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel. Probable
cause: Keep alive socket closed[null].
   6 java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to process parts as no
multi-part configuration has been provided
   6 java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener
   5 org.apache.catalina.tribes.ChannelException: Sender not connected.;
No faulty members identified.
   5 java.lang.NullPointerException
   4 javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake alert: no_certificate
   4 java.lang.IllegalStateException

As always I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages
are important.

"unchecked" warnings likely the same as RC3:

Tipis
=====

All known

.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:641:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(), (V)
mapmsg.getValue());
                                                        ^
  required: K
  found:    Serializable
  where K is a type-variable:
    K extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
/shared/build/dev/tomcat/read-write/trunk-clean/java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:641:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
                entry = new MapEntry<>((K) mapmsg.getKey(), (V)
mapmsg.getValue());

       ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:666:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                        if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null )
entry.setValue((V) mapmsg.getValue());

                 ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:672:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                    entry.setValue((V) re);
                                       ^
  required: V
  found:    ReplicatedMapEntry
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap
.../java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:674:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked cast
                    if ( mapmsg.getValue()!=null ) entry.setValue((V)
mapmsg.getValue());

             ^
  required: V
  found:    Serializable
  where V is a type-variable:
    V extends Object declared in class AbstractReplicatedMap

JDBC-Pool
=========

.../modules/jdbc-pool/src/main/java/org/apache/tomcat/jdbc/pool/PoolProperties.java:973:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
            return (Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>)clazz;
                                                     ^
  required: Class<? extends JdbcInterceptor>
  found:    Class<CAP#1>
  where CAP#1 is a fresh type-variable:
    CAP#1 extends Object from capture of ?

DBCP
====

All known:

.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1782:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked call to
GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>,GenericObjectPoolConfig,AbandonedConfig)
as a member of the raw type GenericObjectPool
            gop = new GenericObjectPool(factory, new
GenericObjectPoolConfig(),
                  ^
  where T is a type-variable:
    T extends Object declared in class GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1786:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked call to GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>)
as a member of the raw type GenericObjectPool
            gop = new GenericObjectPool(factory);
                  ^
  where T is a type-variable:
    T extends Object declared in class GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1799:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked conversion
        factory.setPool(gop);
                        ^
  required: ObjectPool<PoolableConnection>
  found:    GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1800:
warning:
[unchecked] unchecked conversion
        connectionPool = gop;
                         ^
  required: GenericObjectPool<Connection>
  found:    GenericObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/LinkedBlockingDeque.java:1180:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
            E item = (E)s.readObject();
                                    ^
  required: E
  found:    Object
  where E is a type-variable:
    E extends Object declared in class LinkedBlockingDeque
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolableCallableStatement.java:78:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to returnObject(K,V) as a member of
the raw type KeyedObjectPool
                _pool.returnObject(_key,this);
                                  ^
  where K,V are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in interface KeyedObjectPool
    V extends Object declared in interface KeyedObjectPool
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:290:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
                            new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement( key.getSql()),
key, _pstmtPool, this));
                            ^
  where K,S are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in class
PoolablePreparedStatement
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:298:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
                            new
PoolablePreparedStatement(getDelegate().prepareStatement(
                            ^
  where K,S are type-variables:
    K extends Object declared in class PoolablePreparedStatement
    S extends PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S> declared in class
PoolablePreparedStatement
.../dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/PoolImplUtils.java:86:
warning: [unchecked] unchecked cast
                (Class<? extends T>) clazz.getSuperclass();
                                                        ^
  required: Class<? extends T>
  found:    Class<CAP#1>
  where T is a type-variable:
    T extends Object declared in method
<T>getGenericType(Class<T>,Class<? extends T>)
  where CAP#1,CAP#2 are fresh type-variables:
    CAP#1 extends Object super: CAP#2 from capture of ? super CAP#2
    CAP#2 extends T from capture of ? extends T

Regards,

Rainer