On 20.12.2013 13:52, Violeta Georgieva wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 7.0.50 release is now available for voting.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-7/v7.0.50/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-004/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc7.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_7_0_50/
>
> The proposed 7.0.50 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 7.0.50 Stable

+1 to release.

Details:

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src completely consistent with svn tag
- builds fine
  - warning about unchecked calls or conversions in:
    - o.a.t.dbcp.dbcp (many classes)
    - o.a.t.dbcp.jocl
      - ConstructorUtil
      - JOCLContentHandler
    - o.a.t.dbcp.pool
      - impl/CursorableLinkedList
      - impl/EvictionTimer.java
      - impl/GenericKeyedObjectPool
      - impl/GenericObjectPool
      - impl/SoftReferenceObjectPool
      - impl/StackKeyedObjectPool
      - impl/StackObjectPool
      - PoolUtils
    - javax/el/ResourceBundleELResolver.java:109 (old)
  Looks more or less unchanged from 7.0.47.
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- no Javadoc warnings
- Unit tests: no errors or failures
  - Details of log output see below
- JMX MBean Comparison:
  - MBeans j2eeType=WebModule attribute "tldNamespaceAware" changed
    from "false" to "true"
  - ThreadPool MBeans new attribute
    "executorTerminationTimeoutMillis" value "0"
  - OperatingSystem MBean OpenFileDescriptorCount up from 57 to 63
  - System Property ...DefaultJarScanner.jarsToSkip now added
    entries cobertura-*.jar,asm-*.jar,dom4j-*.jar,icu4j-*
.jar,jaxen-*.jar,jdom-*.jar,jetty-*.jar,oro-*.jar,servlet-api-*.jar,tagsoup-*.jar,xmlParserAPIs-*.jar,xom-*.jar

Build and tests were done using Java 1.6.0_45, java.7.home was pointing
to 1.7.0_45. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc, tcnative was 1.1.29 based on APR
1.4.8 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e (plus a few patches).

Unit test warnings (very similar to 7.0.47, the only one in websocket is
gone, 2 new ones in TestHostConfigAutomaticDeployment, numbers again
higher for tribes [was 19 for 7.0.42, 47 for 7.0.47, now 69):

- org.apache.catalina.deploy.TestWebXmlOrdering
  - BIO, NIO and APR: [main]
org.apache.catalina.deploy.WebXml.orderWebFragments Used a wrong
fragment name z at web.xml absolute-ordering tag!

- org.apache.catalina.deploy.TestWebXml
  - BIO, NIO and APR: [main]
org.apache.catalina.deploy.WebXml.setVersion Unknown version string
[0.0]. Default version will be used.?

- org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TestCustomSsl
  - BIO twice "Exception getting SSL attributes"
    in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor actionInternal
    exception is:
    javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake alert: no_certificate
  - NIO twice "WARNING: Exception re-negotiating SSL connection"
    in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProcessor actionInternal

- org.apache.catalina.startup.TestHostConfigAutomaticDeployment
  in org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWARs
  - BIO, NIO and APR: WARNING: The directory [...] will be ignored
because the WAR [...] takes priority and unpackWARs is false
  in org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
  - BIO, NIO and APR: WARNING: A docBase ... inside the host appBase has
been specified, and will be ignored

- tribes: several warnings (69), numbers much higher (+22) than 7.0.47.
  Same types of messages. Most new ones are of type:
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.sendElectionMsgToNextInline
Unable to send election message to: ...

Unit test SEVERE messages: 529 total (+287 !).

The new or more frequent ones are:

- 78 imes org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal
ContainerBase.addChild: start:
- 48 times org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.resourcesStart Error
starting static Resources
- 48 times org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error
deploying configuration descriptor ...xml
- 18 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory The web
application with context path [/...] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor [.../context.xml] which may include
configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the application but
processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by the deployXML
setting of this host. An appropriate descriptor should be created at
[.../....xml] to deploy this application.
- 18 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Error
deploying web application directory ...
- 12 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR The web
application with context path [/...] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor [META-INF/context.xml] which may
include configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the
application but processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by the
deployXML setting of this host. An appropriate descriptor should be
created at [.../....xml] to deploy this application.
- 12 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Error deploying
web application archive ...
- 9 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [...]
- 6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context [...]
startup failed due to previous errors
- 6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Skipped
installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
- 6 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Error
configuring application listener of class
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener
- 3 org.apache.catalina.startup.ExpandWar.copy Error copying ...war to
/var/tmp/6-....war
- 16 more messages if type
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.clearReferencesThreads The
web application [] appears to have started a thread named [...] but has
failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
- 3 more messages of type
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Error listenerStart
- 3 more messages of type
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.messageReceived
Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal.

2 SEVERE websocket messages of 7.0.47 are now gone.

Most of the SEVERE messages are of type "Servlet.service() for servlet
... threw exception" (140 times, unchanged).

Second biggest block (new):

140 messages in TestHostConfigAutomaticDeployment:

- 48 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error
deploying configuration descriptor .../conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml
- 18 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Error
deploying web application directory .../webapps/myapp
- 18 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory The web
application with context path [/myapp] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor
[.../webapps/myapp/META-INF/context.xml] which may include configuration
necessary for the secure deployment of the application but processing of
deployment descriptors is prevented by the deployXML setting of this
host. An appropriate descriptor should be created at
[.../conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml] to deploy this application.
- 12 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Error deploying
web application archive .../webapps/myapp.war
- 12 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR The web
application with context path [/myapp] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor [META-INF/context.xml] which may
include configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the
application but processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by the
deployXML setting of this host. An appropriate descriptor should be
created at [.../conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml] to deploy this application.

Next biggest block (unchanged)

Count    message
  27     [junit] TIMESTAMP SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event threw
exception
   3     [junit] TIMESTAMP SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.endElement End event threw
exception

Third biggest block is 46 (+19) messages from the mem leak detection
during context unload:
  - 37 times (+19): The web application [...] appears to have started a
thread named [...] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.
  - 6 times (unchanged): The web application [] is still processing a
request that has yet to finish. This is very likely to create a memory
leak. You can control the time allowed for requests to finish by using
the unloadDelay attribute of the standard Context implementation.
  - it happens twice in org.apache.catalina.connector.TestMaxConnections
    for BIO, NIO and APR
  - 3 times (unchanged): The web application [] appears to have started
a TimerThread named [leaked-thread] via the java.util.Timer API but has
failed to stop it. To prevent a memory leak, the timer (and hence the
associated thread) has been forcibly canceled.

Remaining ones are 17 different types of messages, in sum 67 occurrences.

"Exception" in output of unit tests: 543 times (+312 !).

Top exception counts (many new in deployment test):

  75     [junit] javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
  48 (new)[junit] org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to
start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 (new)[junit] java.lang.IllegalStateException:
ContainerBase.addChild: start: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
  48 (new)[junit] Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Error in resourceStart()
  39 (new)[junit] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
.../webapps/myapp does not exist or is not a readable directory
  30 (new)[junit] org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to
start component [/myapp]
  30 (new)[junit] java.lang.IllegalStateException:
ContainerBase.addChild: start: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Failed to start component [/myapp]
  30 (new)[junit] Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Failed to process either the global, per-host or context-specific
context.xml file therefore the [/myapp] Context cannot be started.
  12 (new)[junit] java.io.FileNotFoundException:
.../external/external.war (No such file or directory)
   9 (new)[junit] org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart
Exception fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9 (new)[junit] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid or
unreadable WAR file : .../external/external.war
   9     [junit] java.io.IOException: Invalid CRLF, no CR character
encountered.
   9     [junit]  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <ordering> element
is limited to 1 occurrence
   9     [junit]  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <name> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9     [junit]  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
<absolute-ordering> element is limited to 1 occurrence
   8 (+3)[junit]  org.apache.catalina.tribes.ChannelException: Sender
not connected.; No faulty members identified.
   6     [junit] org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46) Attribute
qualified names must be unique within an element
   6     [junit] Exception in thread "WebSocketClient-AsyncIO-NNN"
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Writing not allowed due to timeout or
cancellation (twice each for BIO, NIO and APR in
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWsWebSocketContainer)
   6 (new)[junit] java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener

The remaining ones have 38 different messages and occur 103 times.

I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages are
important. We have many new SEVERE messages and exceptions, but most of
them are due to the new automatic deployment test.

Regards,

Rainer