On 13/05/2014 11:43, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

>> I'm running the unit tests now. I want to look at BZ 56516 some more and
>> I don't want to hold up a 8.0.x release any longer.
>>

> There's nothing to look at IMO, the guy is using scriptlets and expects
> things to work with the tag variable. Jasper has no idea to know there's
> flow control in his Java code fragments.
>
> Rémy
>
> From his test case (with a "message" variable info):
> <%
>     try {
> %>
>         <hello:helloWorld id="message"/>
> <%
>     } catch (Exception e) {
>         //String message = null;
> %>
>         <hello:helloWorld id="message"/>
> <%
>     }
> %>

Indeed. So do we:

a) do nothing

b) declare variables just after the implicit variables so they are
always in scope

c) add some { } blocks and declare the variable once each time the tag
is used?

I've been looking through the specification but haven't found anything
yet that would suggest a preferred approach. Equally, I haven't found
anything to suggest that a) is valid in this case.