On 11/09/2014 14:59, Rory O'Donnell Oracle, Dublin Ireland wrote:
> Hi Mladen/Mark,
>
> As part of the preparations for JDK 9, Oracle’s engineers have been
> analyzing open source projects like yours to understand usage.
> One area of concern involves identifying compatibility problems, such as
> reliance on JDK-internal APIs.
>
> Our engineers have already prepared guidance on migrating some of the
> more common usage patterns of JDK-internal APIs to supported public
> interfaces. The list is on the OpenJDK wiki [0], along with instructions
> on how to run the jdeps analysis tool yourself .
>
> We have analyzed jar files within apache-tomcat-8.0.12 and found 0 jar
> files depending on JDK-Internal APIs.
>
> However, jdeps is a static analysis tool and therefore use of
> JDK-internal APIs via reflection or dynamically generated bytecode are
> not reported by the tool, while such a dependency should also be replaced.
>
> If you have any feedback please reply either on this list or to me
> directly.

We do make use JDK-Internal APIs but we always do it via reflection as
it is nearly always vendor specific.

The protection against JRE triggered memory leaks is a source of a lot
of internal API usage:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/core/JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener.java?view=annotate

It would be great of there were public APIs we could use instead or
better still if the various memory leaks could be fixed.

Other than that, I can't think of any off-hand. Use the internal API is
something we try to avoid if at all possible.