that's it I think

If you want servlet code let's do it (wanted to avoid code in mail
since I never manage to format it well):

1) request 1 (start the async context) does:

// field context has type AsyncContext
context = req.startAsync(req, resp);
context.addListener(this); // not important for us but it is mainly to
handle errors etc
context.setTimeout(valueFromAnywhere);

2) request 2 does in its thread:

// i skip some jaxrs impl internals like getting the response to push
to the client for request 1 etc
context.dispatch();

And that's all in term of servlet API then you go back in servlet
chain and end on JAXRS servlet (or filter) which identified this
dispatch as a continuation and returns the expected data instead of
doing again request 1 call.

In term of tomcat calls we end up in
org.apache.catalina.core.AsyncContextImpl#dispatch(javax.servlet.ServletContext,
java.lang.String) and then
this.request.getCoyoteRequest().action(ActionCode.ASYNC_DISPATCH,
null);.

Finally we are in
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor#action which does

if (asyncStateMachine.asyncDispatch()) {
    endpoint.processSocket(this.socketWrapper, SocketStatus.OPEN_READ, true);
}

and org.apache.coyote.AsyncStateMachine#asyncDispatch checks
ContainerThreadMarker.isContainerThread() which is obviously true
since request 2 is a normal request so dispatch is skipped and
response is never sent (well not as expected and we get a timeout).

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau
http://www.tomitribe.com
http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com