There are some forks of tcnative. One from twitter named finagle-native:

https://github.com/twitter/finagle/tree/master/finagle-native

mostly in the form of a big patch:

https://github.com/twitter/finagle/blob/master/finagle-native/tomcat-native-1.1.27.finagle.patch

Another one inside Netty:

https://github.com/netty/netty-tcnative/

which originally built upon the finagle additions.

Some of us want to merge back useful stuff into tcnative. The forks are under Apache Software License and Officials at Twitter and Netty agreed for us to merge things back. So it seems we are safe to go on the basis of adding a note to the NOTICE file. I sugest the following addition:

<snip>
This software contains code derived from netty-native developed by the Netty project (http://netty.io, https://github.com/netty/netty-tcnative/) and from finagle-native developed at Twitter (https://github.com/twitter/finagle).
</snip>

I think we would target tcnative trunk and after merging we can see, which features would be compatible and useful for 1.1.

One thing I think we should drop is NPN support. Those forks have NPN and ALPN support and Mark has already added ALPN support to our tcnative trunk. I think we can safely drop NPN as it seems to be a dead end and focus on ALPN, checking about the deltas between our current impl and the one in the forks.

Regards,

Rainer