In all the scenarios I know this works by NOT working on the upstream repo at
all.
Instead this commit gets performed on some other repo and a pull request is
issued. The pull request triggers a merge in a auto-generated temporary
throw-away branch (integration branch) and if it passes it can get pulled in by
some maintainer.

This is fine, but fundamentally different to what we do/have at ASF in general.

The problem with the tests is something different. WAY too many tests are just
broken in lots of situations. E.g. they are depending on the order in which
they get executed (which might be different depending on OS and JDK version),
do not work if you have a proxy configured, don't work if you have a firewall,
etc

We really must fix the random ones and move all those infrastructure specific
tests to an integration-test profile.
After this is done a lot less people will have problems to build TomEE
themselves.

LieGrue,
strub