In order to use the CommonJ workManagers and TimerManagers, I had to rework
the factory methods for the class
de.myfoo.commonj.work.FooWorkManagerFactory to fit with TomEE.
I was going down a road that wasn't very appealing.

I want to use the ManagedThreadFactory and ManagedExecutorService to create
my threads/ timer jobs instead. In the version of Tomee that I am
using(1.7.1), I can reference the classes like you say, by adding the
openejb-concurrency-utilities and api jar files to my lib folder. The
following references work.

<Resource  id="mtf/Transformer"
type="javax.enterprise.concurrent.ManagedThreadFactory"/>
Resource  id="mses/ManagedScheduledExecutorService"
type="javax.enterprise.concurrent.ManagedScheduledExecutorService"/>

However, I cant find any info on how to tune the ManagedThreadFactory to run
x concurrent threads. Do you have an example as to how tune the
ManagedThreadFactory , to say run 4 concurrent threads?