I'm trying to following this tutorial:
http://blog.iadvise.eu/2015/06/01/jee-using-ejb-and-context-annotations-in-a-jax-rs-provider-class/

So I've tried @Stateless and @RequestScoped on the Exception handler.
Do not see any errors like the one you mentioned.

What I see is the following in the server log:
*Nov 16, 2015 10:00:30 AM org.apache.openejb.server.cxf.rs.CxfRsHttpListener
configureFactory
INFO:      scratchpad.test.TestExceptionHandler@5943e7f9*

When I add the @Stateless I see this as well:
*INFO: Auto-deploying ejb TestExceptionHandler:
EjbDeployment(deployment-id=TestExceptionHandler)
INFO: Auto-linking resource-ref 'java:comp/env/scratchpad' in bean
TestExceptionHandler to Resource(id=scratchpad)
INFO: Jndi(name=TestExceptionHandlerLocal) -->
Ejb(deployment-id=TestExceptionHandler)
INFO:
Jndi(name=global/ScratchPad/TestExceptionHandler!javax.ws.rs.ext.ExceptionMapper)
--> Ejb(deployment-id=TestExceptionHandler)*

etc..

The only error is a null pointer on the ejb when I try to invoke it in
Runtime.