I object. There are plenty of folks still using 1.7.x, and we've ported
over various fixes from master without too much trouble.

My concern is that those on 1.7.x might be concerned to see it EOL'd. I'd
like to see the upgrade path documented and a policy on fixes applied to
1.7.x documented and discussed before an EOL announcement.

Jon