I'll recheck whether passing a specific basic authorization header works,
if it does, I'll close the PR and follow up here. If it doesn't, I'll
follow up with more specific details.

The code change wasn't made for no reason though, which would suggest that
it doesn't work in the desired way. There was discussion on it at the time
and the change was committed. The revert was a "whoops, sorry my script
messed up and that got reverted by accident when we tried to fix the
damage", as opposed to based on the merit of the actual functionality
itself. I'd be grateful if the community could consider re-applying this
lost patch.

Many thanks

Jon