A) without hesitation. After years of feedbacks, our state is that we have
2 kinds of users:

- I dont care about the certification
- Certification is mandatory for me to look at what you do

Last category is clearly a subset of big companies and we lost them with EE
7 status so I think users just expect releases and moves.

It means release whatever you have and just clearly state what it is.

Side note: and we jakarta ee we can get back the second category but later.
However at least we still make category a happy in the meantime.

Le 19 avr. 2018 05:10, "David Blevins" <david.blev...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Apr 17, 2018, at 9:57 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> What is blocking to release tomee 8? Nothing ;)

Moving this over as it's probably a good "top level" topic to discuss.
This will probably come to do "do we care about certification anymore" and
that will probably involve us asking users for their opinions.

Here's the status I'm aware of from my involvement in Jakarta EE / EE4J PMC.

  - TCKs are due to show up in the May, June timeframe.  Once they show up,
we will be able to legally run them.  I.e. after 5 years our TCK access
will finally be restored.

  - Jakarta EE 8 TCK will be an functionally identical copy of the Java EE
8 TCK.  This is intentional so being Jakarta EE 8 certified can be implied
to be Java EE 8 certified.

  - As this one will be open source, we will all be able to work on it
together, openly without special paperwork.  We will also be able to openly
share the results and talk about how close or far we are and do we want to
release then or wait.

So I see three options:

 a) April - Release TomEE 8.x now with unknown compliance
 b) July - Run the Jakarta EE 8.x TCK, potentially release with known
non-compliance and information on what isn't compliant
 c) September - Time-box closing as many issues as possible, fix what we
can in 2 months and release with known non-compliance, but far less, and
information on what isn't compliant
 d) ?? - Release TomEE 8.x when it is Jakarta EE 8 Web Profile compliant

I don't mention the 8.0 vs 8.1 distinction because I don't think it adds
anything to the conversation.  Whenever we do our first release it would be
called 8.0, it's really about when we want to do that.  I think we're all
on the same page that if we did release 8.0 now, we'd increment the version
in some way on milestones C or D.

I won't give my preference in this email as to not pollute the options.  If
you see an option that isn't discussed, do the same and attempt to present
it disconnected from your preference (i.e. use different emails).

We should probably discuss for a while, capture some options we like, then
loop in users and try to get as much feedback as possible.  Maybe a google
poll.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins