Hi all,

I see your point, David. If we announce something EOL (which is quite a
„hard“ thing in terms of the ASF), we might loose potential volunteers,
who might want to maintain and contribute by patching and/or fixing 3rd
party vulnerabilities by forking.

I like the idea of labeling something „inactive“ in terms of
development accompied by some sort of explanation in an info box on the
website. I would call it Option (F). For example, something like:

„Please note: There is no active development or maintenance for the
7.1.x branch of TomEE, i.e. releases from the 7.1.x branch are very
unlikely, bugs exclusive to these versions are not actively fixed, and
security vulnerability reports will not be checked against the 7.1.x
branch. If you depend on 7.1.x, consider upgrading to 8.0.x or 9.0.x.
If this is not possible, we are open for contributors / volunteers to
maintain the 7.1.x“

Then, we link to a new page where we explain how it works (cross-
references to the contribution pages and some others like commercial
support, etc.) and list our requirements regarding CVEs fixes. If we
decide to go this route, I can setup a draft for discussion.

The „cool“ thing of „inactive“ would be, that  if someone steps up and
volunteers to maintain an older version, we can give them a try and do
a release, if we feel comfortable with it.

Regarding „policies“: Afaik some other projects tend to have a policy
like „we maintain 2 – 3 versions in parallel“.  Do we need something
similar in order to mark some version branch as „inactive“ or do we
want to do it on a „per version“ basis without being bound to some
policy?

While I also like the endoflife.date website, it might be a bit
difficult for TomEE to determine concrete dates without having some
sort of policy in place.

Gruß
Richard